The view from my balcony - isn't it dreamy?
Years ago I kept a travel journal where I recorded the interesting or strange things that happened along the way, this blog has taken that journal's place. So this post may bore everyone but my mom, but it's late here and I'm tired, but I'm determined to record a few memories.
- When I got a look at my itinerary, with multiple layovers, a hotel stay and a train ride all before I made it to Lausanne (my destination) I decided if ever there was a trip that called for carry on only, this was it. It wasn't easy to pack for a 3 week business trip in carry on luggage, but I managed it (barely.) The lack of room in my suitcase will keep me from shopping which is a good thing. The bad news is I sacrificed my good camera and just brought my point and shoot, here's hoping I can still get a few good shots.
- I spent 9 long hours in the Madrid airport, what a gorgeous airport, I just wish I had been less interested in sleep and more interested in exploring the architecture.
- I finally arrived in Lausanne at 6:30 PM, raced to find the train from the airport to the main train station - raced because I'd been told SwissCom closed between 7 and 8 and I needed a Swiss SIM card - my lovely Verizon phone doesn't work here.
- After what felt like forever wandering around the station I finally found SwissCom, where a nice guy hooked me up - so glad he spoke English!
- Now it was time to find my hotel. Lesson for next trip - don't print driving directions when you need to walk. I got hopelessly lost - what should have been a 7 minute walk was at least 30 - better yet it was raining.
- Finally found the hotel, went to my room and couldn't get the key to work, back to the desk, back up to the room, still didn't work, back to the desk, this time they came with me. Oh no, I was trying the wrong room, how embarrassing - I blame it all on jet lag.
- Slept til 5 AM (more jet lag) then up and back to the train station. Figure out how to buy a ticket to Lausanne and where to find the right platform. I was 45 minutes early because I was afraid of getting lost, good time for people watching.
- Beautiful train ride, met at the airport by old friends and co-workers. It is so nice to be here.
- Discover the plan is for me to stay in a colleague's apartment (he's out of town) and drive his car. Sadly, I can't drive a stick shift - and I don't plan to learn in his fancy car in a city built on a hill!
- Beg a ride for Friday morning and convince everyone I can indeed ride the bus and hike up the hill at the end of the day.
- Spend a good part of the day trying to decide what to do over a long weekend - so many choices. Still trying to work it out at 10 PM.
- Figure out the bus route, hit the station to buy a pass, discover I need a photo to do so, get lucky and actually get a GOOD photo out of a vending machine - why doesn't that happen at the DMV?
- Works over, time to try the bus. I make all the stops and even manage to do a bit of grocery shopping when I transfer lines. I feel completely empowered, I am set for transport on this trip. Watch out Switzerland, I'm exploring you every weekend.
- Then the really scary part - trying to use a map to find the apartment (that hill was steep, I'm going to have strong legs and buns when I get home.) Get lost, see the apartment beyond the vineyard, take a shortcut through said vineyard, get to apartment but must climb over a fence to get there (wearing a dress!) Finally get to the apartment and find a gate that I can open with my key, think I've lost my key, think about crying, find my key, ahhhh I made it.
- Sitting on the balcony eating pears and cheese for dinner - perfect way to spend a Friday evening.
- What's that flash of light - fireworks over the lake - they must be celebrating my arrival (or whatever holiday is on Monday?)
Good thing I enjoy getting a bit lost when I travel and having things go not quite as I planned. I figure I'll not only get a good story, I'll find things I never would have seen if everything had gone as planned. I can't wait to see what adventures the 3 day weekend will bring, it's a holiday here on Monday - am I lucky or what?
I listened to this on the train ride from Zurich - it was gorgeous accompanied by the Swiss countryside.
Brooke Fraser & Aqualung - Who Are We Fooling (feat. Aqualung)Pin It